Lead Mechanical Engineer- Research & Development
Currently we have an opening for a Lead Mechanical Engineer- Research & Development at our Wager Road facility in Erie, PA. The individual selected for this role will design, develop, and successfully implement research and development products from concept to release. Perform ANSYS finite element structural and modal analyses to support product design. Lead teams of engineers and designers through each phase of the product design and development program.
Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering required. Master of Science or professional engineering license desired.
- Has the ability to create 3D solid models of design concepts using Inventor software, and to create drawings which contain the proper design functional requirements and utilize proper dimensioning and tolerancing per ANSI and AWS documentation practices.
- Ability to work independently on projects with minimal supervision, and to define and maintain accurate manpower requirements and timeframes for project completion.
- Define all the research and development steps required to successfully take an idea from concept to product release.
- Possess machine design experience with the ability to review existing and new product designs from an engineering point of view.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of ANSYS finite element analysis software. This includes fully understanding the limitations of the elements used to model a component/system, properly modeling the component/system, ensuring that ANSYS solutions provide an accurate evaluation of the component or system, and presenting the results in design meetings including the methods and assumptions.
- Ability to ensure that all necessary engineering calculations are properly completed to meet specifications.
- Demonstrate a high level of creativity and ingenuity to provide reliable, cost-effective engineering solutions.
- Can design lab test programs to evaluate new prototype products to meet specifications.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to relay clear, concise information to supervisors, co-workers, technicians, designers, and upper management.
- Ability to lead teams of engineers and designers in engineering projects.
- Possess the ability to troubleshoot machine and process issues, identify the root causes of the issues, and provide engineered solutions.
- Willing to travel internationally as required.
- Define all the research and development steps required to successfully take an idea from concept to product release. This includes defining and maintaining accurate manpower requirements and timeframes to complete the project.
- Perform ANSYS finite element structural and modal mechanical analyses of components including accurate modeling, meshing, diagnostics, FEA validation, identification and resolution of design deficiencies, post-processing, and results reporting.
- Create 3D solid models of design concepts using Inventor software. Work with designers and engineers to ensure that drawings contain the proper design functional requirements and utilize proper dimensioning and tolerancing per ANSI and AWS documentation practices.
- Ensure that all necessary engineering calculations are properly completed to meet specifications.
- Design and develop lab test programs to evaluate new prototype products to meet specifications.
- Lead and supervise engineers and designers on research and development projects.
- Present project progress reports to R&D and corporate management personnel.
- Evaluate equipment performance and provide solutions as needed in the lab, in a production environment, and in the field.
- Produce Installation, Operation, and Maintenance (IOM) documents for equipment.
- Communicate with sales and manufacturing personnel while planning and executing research and development projects.
- Communicate concerns and questions to immediate supervisor.
- Travel on occasion to field installations to evaluate and trouble shoot equipment issues.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by immediate supervisor.
10 years minimum experience in mechanical design taking an idea from concept to product release in a research and development environment.
3 years minimum experience performing finite element analyses using ANSYS.
2 years minimum experience managing R&D projects including supervising engineering personnel.